Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Pregnant

I called to schedule my first doctor’s appointment. I was told that I could not be seen until I was at least six weeks pregnant. Two and a half more weeks seemed like a long time to wait. But they told me this was standard practice so I setup the first visit. The days seemed to creep slowly by.

Finally the day of my appointment was here. I arrived on time only to find that I would need to wait some more. I would soon find out that you should never schedule your OB visit on a Monday morning. This was the time they reserved for patients that had problems over the weekend to be seen by the doctor. Finally they called my name. I was taken into a cold sterile room, and in that room I was left to wait some more. Only now I found myself undressed and cold. When the doctor made his way in he said a quick hello ask a few questions, preformed a yearly exam and sent me on my way. He told me I should come back in four weeks. Four weeks are you kidding me. He was not.

On my second visit I was seen in a more timely fashion. However, the doctor I found to be not really friendly and very rushed. I am not even sure he remembered who I was or why I was there. He looked at my chart. Lifted his head and looked up at me. So your about nine weeks pregnant he said. Well let’s see if we can hear the heartbeat. He proceeded to rub very cold gel on my stomach then he gilded a Doppler over my belly. Immediately you could hear a loud whooshing sound. He continued to glide the Doppler over my stomach pausing with a bewildered look. But still not saying a word, I looked at him puzzled and asked “What is wrong” he replied nothing…You may not be as far along as we think. Come back in four weeks and we should be able to hear the heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment